One of the strengths of Cahaba Medical Care is the Social Work office that works diligently and in tandem with the provider staff to help care for patients in totality – not just their medical needs but also their emotional, social, spiritual, and financial needs.
The Social Work office is staffed by Nese Morgan, Darrinetta Williams, Leslie Jones, and Shamari Griffin. Services offered by the Social Work office include:
- Counseling Services - in an effort to meet the significant behavioral and mental health needs within the community, be it for depression, anxiety, or another mental health disorder.
- Insurance Outreach and Enrollment - assist people in enrolling in Medicaid without requiring them to drive out of the county; assist people in enrolling in the federal marketplace of the Affordable Care Act.
- Patient Assistance with medications - for patients unable to afford their medications the social workers can often get them for reduced cost or free from the pharmaceutical companies.
- Vital Needs- patients will receive help in locating resources to aid them with a variety of needs such as utilities, food, and housing.
- Dental Referral Services - preventative cleanings as well as urgent dental care are referred to our on-staff dentist Dr. Wes Wright and registered dental hygienist Karen Sessoms.
- Transportation Program - for patients who have difficulty getting to appointments at CMC, at a subspecialist office, or for a radiology appointment, the social workers collaborate with the local hospital’s van service to coordinate getting these patients to their needed appointments.
- Sliding Fee Discount Program - allows patients whose income is under a certain range to qualify to see a doctor and to receive any in-house laboratory, x-ray, ultrasound, or procedural service at a massively discounted rate. This program is managed jointly between the billing and social work office, but it is the social workers who help patients to properly enroll as well as to help identify other charitable care programs at neighboring hospitals when the needed service cannot be done within Cahaba Medical Care.